Monday, June 18, 2007

Salute to Gianfranco Ferré

Gianfranco Ferré, perhaps best known as the “architect of fashion” for his sculpted shapes, structured forms, and for his groundbreaking career at Christian Dior, died Sunday evening after suffering a massive brain hemorrhage. The Italian designer was 62.
It's sad to note the death of yet another prominent figure within the fashion industry- the creative director of his own label but more importantly, the head designer of Christian Dior where he reigned for seven years from 1989 to 1996. The simplicity and structure of his designs should be noted- I liked that it exuded that sense of ease.

While that's wonderful and worthy of praise, what I love and find the most fascinating about Gianfranco Ferré is his groundings in architecture- a degree from Politecnico di Milano, which has one of the best architectural programs in the world (and I was almost going to apply to attend). I think there might be a tinge of regret from me that I didn't end up going through with Bachelor of Architecture degree now that I think about it.
Cred: style.com, the Daily

No comments: